Since today is Friday, I think it makes sense to do a Five Things Working/Not Working post.
1. You know the fastest way to get things back on track in the marriage department? Blog about how you need to. This week was seriously amazing. All last weekend Leo carted the kids EVERYWHERE. It was the best feeling knowing someone else was going to be in charge of getting them. I’m pretty sure he fed the kids all weekend, too. It was mostly leftovers and take out food but he was the one doing all the reheating, serving, cutting. It. Was. Awesome! Wednesday it snowed here. A lot. Gia had school and I kept thinking I’d have to leave 45 minutes earlier than normal to get her there if I wanted her to go and I really wanted her to go. Leo surprised me by working from home and we both took Gia to school with him driving (the roads were awful). Then we went to Starbucks where he worked and I got a ton of stuff done, including signing up for a few things that I might be able to start making a little big of money doing. We went to lunch and it was seriously the perfect day. Helping kids with homework, helping me around the house and knowing when to step in and take over made fall in love with him all over again.
2. So then you understand after reading the above why I couldn’t complain about the heat and garage or the inch layer of ice down our stairs and walkway and how all of those are still not working. I want to clarify that we have heat. We just have to turn it on because it won’t click on by itself once it gets to the temp we set it at and clicks off.
3. Happy kids. I know this sounds odd and you can disagree with me. It’s okay because not all kids are the same. Nico is a different kid when he has a girlfriend and when it is a girl I absolutely love, life is good. Really good. His whole attitude is different. He works harder at school, he works harder at whatever sport he’s in and he is a lot easier to live with here. I know some think having a girlfriend is a distraction but for whatever reason, it’s not with Nico. It works. Belle is loving volleyball and besides the normal/hormonal tween girl breakdowns has been pretty happy. We found something that has been keeping Tommy’s bumps away. My doctor is a huge advocate for fish oils. I always half-listened to him about it mostly because the boys took so many pills, I didn’t want to add another one. Well, he thought it might help control Tommy’s leg thing and so we tried it and Tommy said it’s working. He feels better so thank you, Dr. Vosicky! Gia is normally very happy but these days she doesn’t give me a hard time about going to “pretty school” because of a certain someone named, Jett.
4. This winter. I know I live in Chicago. I know it is February but really all that means to me is that I need to talk my family into moving to Arizona so that I can get the Hell out of this cold, depressing, snow-filled place. I don’t remember having any say in my ancestors settling here so why can’t I complain a little that they did. I mean, most of my ancestors were from Italy. What were they thinking? I know…the American dream and finding opportunities but why didn’t they find that somewhere warmer? I want my flip-flops and shorts and t-shirts. I want my skin not to crack the minute I step out the door. I want Leo to be able to shovel and not have snow plows come through and push the snow on top of what he just shoveled so that when I go to get out or someone else goes to pull out, they don’t get stuck (sorry, JW). I want to be able to walk out my front door without the fear of being stabbed in the head with a giant icicle or needing a hip replacement because I break my hip on the ice. I will end this one with these words: Winter, you’ve overstayed your welcome!
5. I was thinking of hanging up my blogging gloves and moving on. It was hard getting back in the groove and my kids were demanding a lot of attention. I just couldn’t do it. Their happiness came first but…they are all happy at the moment and writing is breathing life back into me. So, instead of hanging it up, I’ve decided to go full force. I have connected with some amazing writers that I truly love working with and it feels good to be a part of something. I’ve decided that writing a few sponsored posts or reviews is not a bad thing and that I can do it without compromising my voice in this space. I can’t wait to start chugging along and see what new things are in store for me.
What about you? What’s working or not working for you on this Friday?