In an effort to be more positive (God, help me…I’m trying), I am going to start off this post with five things I’m loving at the moment.
1. I finally got a new phone thanks to my sister, Chrissy and my brother-in-law, Ricky. I FINALLY have an iPhone. My piece of poop Pantech Burst was the most frustrating phone I have ever had. I would choose not to have a smart phone over having that phone again.
2. I am loving that Gia is completely obsessed with the app, My Tom (some cat game) and it is only on Leo’s phone (on purpose). The thing I love most is that you have to feed the cat throughout the day so it doesn’t die and Leo does it while he is at work so that Gia’s little heart isn’t crushed. She has him totally wrapped around her little finger.
3. The TV show, Modern Family. Why have I not ever watched this? I’m catching it on USA right after Law and Order: SVU and I am laughing out loud. Gloria, Jay and Manny seriously crack me up and Mitchell with his dry sense of humor…I am loving this show.
4. THAT TOMMY IS BETTER!!!!! For those that are not on Facebook, this is what his foot looked like on Monday:
Doesn’t it look like a latex glove blown up?
5. My sister, Gina and my brother-in-law, Deo. I need to give these guys a special shout out. I needed to get away this past weekend and they invited my girls and I (the boys all had practice or games) up to Chicago with them. It was exactly what I needed. The margarita at dinner didn’t hurt, either. Sometimes when you are in the middle of a feeling like you are in quicksand, someone comes and offers you a branch. That’s what they did. Being with my nieces and my nephew reminded me of what true, unconditional love feels like. No, “I hate you!” “You’re mean!” or “Your rules are so dumb!” Just “I love you, Auntie ReeRee. I’m so glad you are here.” Gia got to play with some girls (Grace and Gabriella, God love them for watching her as much as they did) and Belle got to be with people that truly love her for who she is.
Things I am hating right now:
I know hate is a strong word but I have some pretty strong feelings for these things.
1. High School. I don’t remember hating it this much when I was in it so I’m a little surprised by how much I am hating it right now. I hate the amount of work he has. I hate how tired he is all the time. To say it is different than when I went is a huge understatement. Maybe that is why I am hating it. Where are the groups going to movies or bowling or miniature golfing or even out to eat? I thought competitive sports was ruining our family life. Well, high school sports have completely blown the family life out of the water.
2. Enabling the “Me, Me, Me” Generation. I hate that I am a huge enabler of the lifestyle I am not liking. They need a ride somewhere, I take them. They want to play a sport or do an activity and I will go into debt to help them do it. How can I squash their passions (especially at 4 years old, right?)? They want the new iPods so their grandparents get them for them. They want for nothing and what does that teach them? I need to find away to teach them that instant gratification isn’t the best way to live. It will be the cause of so much disappointment in the real world.
3. Middle School. I hate middle school more than I hate high school. I don’t really remember liking middle school all that much when I was in it. It’s an awkward stage for everyone. Insecurities run rampant and manifest in so many different ways. Some kids withdraw, some kids become silly or socially awkward and some become mean. Bodies are changing and kids this age don’t want to look different. Other kids take that opportunity to tear kids down. It seems no one escapes unscathed. Friendships are tested and they change and hearts are broken and the tears, my God, the tears.
4. Doctors appointments. No offense, Margie. We love you and Dr. A. I think for a few weeks we’ve had one or two a week. My mind is swirling with the worry about each appointment. I feel like I either have a kid that I think is fine that they are telling me something is wrong or I have a kid that something is wrong but we can’t figure out what. Nothing sends your world reeling like a health crisis.
5. I saved this one for last since you all are probably sick of hearing it. I am hating all of the broken things in this house. Our garage is so annoying. It goes up when it wants to and down when it wants to and of course when I am in a hurry, that is when it decides to not go up or down. Our refrigerator water dispenser is broken. The ice maker is broken. There is a shelf we can’t use. It’s against a wall so it won’t open up all the way. We need a new one but it is the lowest on the priority list. There is a brick guy coming for our STILL half done patio. I don’t even care about that anymore except that it has been almost a year since someone ratted on us. And the very thing I hate the most is that for a year our furnace has been broken. A YEAR! I finally take the bull by its horns and call someone. I get a quote and tell Leo because I have had it. We need it and we need it now. What does he do? He decides he is going to get “a few” quotes.” This is why I don’t call and get quotes or get people to come and fix things. Because once I do, he springs into action and I think, Why did I even bother? And of course he hates that I don’t care how much it costs, I just want it done now. It’s a vicious tug of war we’ve got going on here. That was three weeks ago. STILL have the old furnace. Still going downstairs to turn it on when it shuts off. I’m not going to lie. I’ve resorted to name-calling. I’m about to resort to crying and possibly throwing things. If they end up near his head, well, I’m sorry. My aim isn’t great (or is it?).
My hope is that by doing 5/5 it is a good balance so I don’t become the Depressing Queen of Chaos. I am also hoping that by getting all of this off my chest, it will clear my mind to be able to get back to writing regularly. I don’t know about you but I can’t seem to do much of anything when I have this much on my mind.
What about you? Tell me something you are loving and something you are hating a little bit.