Last week was a horrible week. Just awful. My stress level was at an all time high. This week, I am starting it off on a high note. I was inspired by my friend, Chris’s blog, The Mom Cafe. She wrote about 100 blessings in her life and I thought, I could surely come up with 10 of my own. Let’s see if this works. I am going to speak of things that I am grateful for. Start out glass full so to speak.
1. Leo did all the laundry (well, the putting in and switching and taking out…I did the folding and putting away) and I am so grateful that as a team, we conquered the pile up.
2. I am grateful that Nico was undefeated in conference for football and Tommy ended his regular season undefeated in football.
3. I am grateful that Isabella is maturing and working at being laid back. Her cheer squad came in second yesterday and she was visibly upset at not getting first place. There were no tears but she wouldn’t talk and I could tell that at any moment, if she started to talk, she would start to cry. I hesitated knowing whatever I would say would not be well-received. I told her how proud of her I was and what a great job they did and how they beat a team that was really hard to beat in the past. She was quiet and when she got in the car said, “It would have been nice to get first but we still have another chance to get a bid to state. I think we did a good job and I’m really happy my stunt group went up.” That’s it. PROGRESS!!!!!!
4. This is going to sound like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth and I admit it, I am. I am working on helping Gia fall asleep on her own. I have a million things to do after she goes to bed and honestly, I would like to be done and get a little time for myself. This isn’t new. What is new is that I tried letting her cry it out and it was a disaster. Okay. I am weak. I made progress not falling asleep in her bed but she asked me to hold her. C’mon…I dare you guys to have this child look at you with big weepy eyes and say, “Mommy, please just hold me,” and have you be able to say no. I looked at her as she drifted off to sleep stroking my arm and felt grateful. I am a comfort to someone. Someone needs me in order to feel safe enough to fall asleep. I look at my older three and wonder where the time has gone. I remember that holding them while they drifted off to sleep seems like a lifetime ago so for now, I am going to be grateful that she still needs me. (You are allowed to remind me of that when I complain that I can’t get anything done.)
5. My family. We had the twins family party at my mom and dad’s because remember the list of things broken in the house? Well they still aren’t fixed and 30 people here with one toilet wouldn’t work. My mom made the gravy so instead of pizza, the family got a home-cooked meal. Nikki made the cakes (pom pons and a football cookie) saving me time. LeeAnna’s family couldn’t come and were missed terribly and God bless Gina’s kids for keeping mine (even Gia) occupied. Gina offered to watch Gia if I want to do any Christmas shopping and I am definitely going to take her up on it. As an added bonus, Chrissy watched Gia all day while I was at Belle’s competition. The amount of people at the high school was insane so having Gia with her was such a blessing.
6. No carpool duty this week and Nico has basketball after school. Do you know how happy that makes me? I won’t have to battle the “Can I hang out?” question. (It’s the small things.)
7. Answered prayers and the prayer group I belong to. No problem too big or too small.
8. I exercised every day last week. The week before that, I exercised three times. I am grateful for the energy and the desire to make a life change. I am taking it day by day and praying it lasts and that I soon start seeing a difference so I don’t lose motivation.
9. Good TV. Looking forward to Parenthood, The Voice, Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition, Sons of Anarchy (I have a ton of catching up to do but it is on the DVR). I watched one episode of American Horror Story (because Adam Levine was guest starring) and it was so disturbing that I won’t watch it again. Stuff like that gives me nightmares.
10. I might get the chance to really, really get some time to myself. Here’s hoping it comes to be. I need to regroup. I need to get away so that I can remember who I am and what I want. With life being so busy, if you don’t take time to do that, you get lost in the shuffle. I am grateful for even the thought of getting time to do this.
What about you? What are you grateful for today?